Thursday, March 4, 2010

High School...4 years I'd never do again

I volunteer at a local high school. I'll refrain from saying the name for obvious reasons. But I swear, it makes me so glad that I made it out of high school. I'm sitting here listening to the conversations and stories these kids are sharing...and I wonder if I was this damn corny back when I was 14-18.

All the weak pick-up lines the guys use on the girls. The tricks we thought worked on teachers to hide contraband...that haven't changed in like 25 years. But I think it's the pervasive attitude that they know something that grown folks don't. NEWS FLASH KID: Only thing you know that I don't is Wacka Flocka lyrics. And I don't even wanna learn that shyt. "Ohlehdoooit" gets stuck in my head everyday and I'm about 20 minutes from buying a drill to try and dig it out.

But really, there's nothing about high school that appeals to anybody, is there? Sitting in boring classes, eating crappy cafeteria lunches, teachers breathing all over you tryin to make sure you aren't doin all the dumb stuff you really REALLY wanna do...

I appreciate high school, but only for one reason...it prepared me for college. And COLLEGE my friends...whoo hoo hooooooo "OHLEHDOOOIT!!!" I'd pay for 2 years if they'd give me 1. High school was a preparation for college and if done right, you'll learn to be careful in high school so you don't end up droppin out of college because you gotta start makin child support payments or you came up on possession charges. High school is kinda like boot camp, I guess. Everybody goes through it (well, MOST everybody), everybody got funny stories...but I'll be damned if I'mma go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment